...A home studio and creative outlet. I will explore different setups, hardware, software, and review anything I find that I like. Almost everything heard on my recordings will be digital, from the guitar amps to the drums, from the strings to the compressors, all with both musical taste and price point in mind. I intend to help others and document my work with setting up a studio on a budget. What's best about this is that anyone can do it with a little know how and time. Not including the computer and the guitar, it is possible these days to make your own recordings for as little as a few hundred dollars. This is my attempt to do just that. The goal is to create amateur but realistic recordings from software for as little out of pocket expense as possible. So, feel free to comment and ask questions. I'm doing this as much for the community of home studio enthusiasts as I am for myself as a way to express my creativity. I'm not sure I'm looking for cutting edge - just good sounding songs that might put a smile on your face or make you want to drive a little faster in traffic. I hope you enjoy.

Saturday, May 15, 2010

Song - Beyond the Beginning

This is the first multi-track song I've recorded all by my lonesome. One day it will get some vocals, but we'll save that for another time. This song went through many different versions, remixed and rerecorded several times before we get to where we are now.

All of my recording is done with Reaper, God bless everyone behind that wonderful piece of software. For this recording I use Lepou's Lextac amp sim, based on a popular Bogner amp, Revalver MKIII 6505 for the lead and additional parts, and impulses (IR's) found at guitarampmodeling.com. Credits for those impulses go to Brohymn, Dimi and Alu. Steven Slate Drums EX is used for the drums. Amplitube Ampeg SVX free version BA-500 bass amp for the bass. My guitar is a 1990 Les Paul standard and the bass guitar is a Dean Zone XM. There is also a whole mess of reverb, delay, compression, eq, etc. plugins used. I'll get into more detail about all this at a later date though.

The guitars are double tracked into 2 separate amp instances for each take. That's 4 amps total, one on it's own track. Lextac is loaded into Revalver and I use it's RIR to load the impulses. I just really like the RIR for an impulse loader. One impulse per amp and a different impulse on each track, blended to my ear's personal taste.

The drums, even though they are vsti and sound pretty good out of the box, I've eq'd them heavily. The midi channel is sent to a total of 15 different tracks. One track for each drum. Each mixed, compressed, gated, eq'd, reverb, delay, panned...well you get the picture...by itself as if it were a real kit, then sent to a group bus track for more compression and reverb.

The effects at the beginning are from the free Kore player from Native Instruments.

This song was created not only for the music, but for the recording templates and such that I'm going to use as a starting point for all projects until it gets packaged together on a full length record.

At this point I've left the standard charge of 99 cents for a quality download. I figure it's not that much and if you're just wanting to listen quickly anyway, you can right here as much as you want. But for the luxary to take it with you, what's a dollar?

1 comment:

  1. very cool! Although I have NO idea what you are talking about in the information above, I liked the song, best of luck!!

    ReplyDelete