...A home studio and creative outlet. I will explore different setups, hardware, software, and review anything I find that I like. Almost everything heard on my recordings will be digital, from the guitar amps to the drums, from the strings to the compressors, all with both musical taste and price point in mind. I intend to help others and document my work with setting up a studio on a budget. What's best about this is that anyone can do it with a little know how and time. Not including the computer and the guitar, it is possible these days to make your own recordings for as little as a few hundred dollars. This is my attempt to do just that. The goal is to create amateur but realistic recordings from software for as little out of pocket expense as possible. So, feel free to comment and ask questions. I'm doing this as much for the community of home studio enthusiasts as I am for myself as a way to express my creativity. I'm not sure I'm looking for cutting edge - just good sounding songs that might put a smile on your face or make you want to drive a little faster in traffic. I hope you enjoy.

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Alice In Chains Tone

UPDATE: NEW ATTEMPT
having recently purchased uberkab v30 from Redwirez, this is the newest attempt and the best sounding yet.

We Die Young Final Attempt.wav


The difference hear is only in the IR's. The amp settings are the same as below. Matrix's IR's on the left and right panned 100%. Uberkab v30 Royer 121 mic at 12" from the cone Panned 86% left and right.
END UPDATE

I just thought I'd share this quickly. This is a tone test where I try to recreate a certain tone. In this case - "We Die Young" (WDY) by AIC. The Idea came from this thread on the the Guitar Amp Modeling forums:

http://www.guitarampmodeling.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7829


This is probably my all time favorite tone. What makes this tone so unique I think, is that you can hear tons, and I mean A LOT of air being pushed by the real cabs. It's real hard if not impossible to fake that using sims. We know this already, but out of anything I've ever heard recorded, I don't think I've ever heard a "real" tone where you can hear it as prevalent. Listen carefully to the album version, it's almost like someone using their mouth and lungs and blowing across the tip of the microphone.

I came across something I haven't thought of yet while doing this and wondering why my tone doesn't sound quite right to me while listening back over all these samples and listening to the real "We Die Young". I don't know why I didn't think of this before, but oh well....

There are 2 "we die young" tones. One from the album version, one from the demo version. Both very similar, but by themselves actually have some distinct differences. When creating my tone from the shootout thing above [below], I was listening to the demo version without realizing it. Matrix I believe has been listening to the Album version. [Matrix is from the Guitar amp modeling forums and has created some wonderful IR's based on capturing the EQ of the master recording instead of a particular speaker/cab type. For more info on Matrix's work, visit:

http://www.guitarampmodeling.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=8461


In the below quick test, I compared all versions so that you may hear them. If you can't tell much difference between them, you probably need a good set of studio headphones. I'm not sure desktop speakers will do this justice. I'll go ahead and do the customary apology for the horrible playing on my part, I'm in a little bit of a rush to get this done this evening.


http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3406793/We%20Die%20Young%20Tones.mp3


clip 1, Demo Version of the real song
Clip 2, My Original WDY tone - Lextac in Revalver, TS, New 01 IR, Bogner 4x12 IR, EQ to taste
Clip 3, Album version
Clip 4, Matrix's IR using my above settings with Lextac - small eq adjustments, but for the most part, I just added his IR's. I think I actually do like this one the best. Matrix, your IR really does sound great, Thanks!

But now so we've got some pretty good stuff going, what does it sound like if you combine them all together? You get this:


http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3406793/We%20Die%20Young%20Tones%20allinone.mp3


Which if I do say so myself, sounds pretty awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment