...A home studio and creative outlet. I will explore different setups, hardware, software, and review anything I find that I like. Almost everything heard on my recordings will be digital, from the guitar amps to the drums, from the strings to the compressors, all with both musical taste and price point in mind. I intend to help others and document my work with setting up a studio on a budget. What's best about this is that anyone can do it with a little know how and time. Not including the computer and the guitar, it is possible these days to make your own recordings for as little as a few hundred dollars. This is my attempt to do just that. The goal is to create amateur but realistic recordings from software for as little out of pocket expense as possible. So, feel free to comment and ask questions. I'm doing this as much for the community of home studio enthusiasts as I am for myself as a way to express my creativity. I'm not sure I'm looking for cutting edge - just good sounding songs that might put a smile on your face or make you want to drive a little faster in traffic. I hope you enjoy.

Saturday, April 23, 2011

TSE X50 Has Arrived!

..DROOL... http://www.theserinaexperiment.net/website/software.htm 5150 anybody? I don't mind if I do. What I'm hearing from this sim is far better than even the Peavey Revalver MKIII version I have. It's still in a beta version and is quite high on the CPU consumption, but hopefully that will be addressed in the final version. The ability to switch between el34 and 6L6 tubes might just make up for it though. Between Lextac, NRR1, and x50, I think I'm done looking for amps. Metal heads rejoice! Thanks Onqel!

Ok, so I pushed the beat a little to much. The point here is the tone, not my lack of "metronomeness".

CLICK HERE FOR MY TEST (using 5150 cab from Redwirez): http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3406793/x50%20test.mp3

AND AN UPDATED VERSION (using Uberkab and Marshall IR's): http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3406793/x50%20test2.mp3

8 comments:

  1. Hi,
    I just downloaded the X50. You got a really nice tone there. Do you mind share your settings?

    Thanks
    PlugSlut

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops... :)

    Sure thing...but I'm going to have to do this from memory. It should at least get you close. But understand that guitar and pickup will make a big difference. I used 1990 Les Paul Standard with 498t bridge position (it might be a 57 classic, I've never had it identified)

    Onqel's TSE 909 settings Drive: very low if not 0, tone about noon, volume about noon, maybe a little more

    Amp settings are pretty standard I think. Low and mid on 3 or 4, high probably a little higher like 6 or 7. Post Gain close to 3 or 4, both poweramp settings somewhere between 6 and 7.

    iFace loaded with Redwirez IR's... Marshall sm57 cap at about 1 inch mixed with Soldano Eminence S12Xs Roy121 12 inch from cap on one side panned about 90%. The other side is the same thing with Uberkab sm7 (not 57)instead of the Marshall about 1 inch from cap and the same Soldano.

    ReaEQ high/low pass

    Epicverb

    Taldub III delay

    Double tracked sent to a bus track with further EQ where I pulled a hair from the lower mids and slightly raised the very upper end of the mids and the highs.

    I think that's it. Let me know how it works out for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi again,
    Thanks a lot for your rapid response.
    I have tried the settings back and forth, and I think they work very well.
    I am very new to this and specially hi-gain amps…
    One more question if you don’t mind :-)
    Adjusting bias: when I raise the level I feel the sound get closer but at the same time the distortion gets more grainy.
    On your setting I took it up to -49, but I am not sure what to listen for. Isn’t this a tech control, which normally lies under the reach of the user?
    Thanks
    PlugSlut

    ReplyDelete
  5. According to Onqel (the developer):

    "The poweramp has a selectable tubes/adjustable bias etc.. If you change a tube, you also need to change the bias and search for that tube's particular "sweet spot" according to your taste.
    Each tube has different gain, so you might have to compensate for volume with the output control as no normalization is implemented. The 6L6GC and EL34 tubes has recommended bias settings as of -51V and -39V,
    use your ears
    Also found in the poweramp section is the negative feedback, there are two settings/models on that circuit. A "dynamic" which is determined by the overall gain of the phasesplitter/poweramp as it appears in
    this model, or a "static" which is calibrated after reamps of the actual amp. The difference is barely noticable."

    The bias is adjustable because of the ability to change the tubes. I'm fairly certain I didn't touch it. So mine should be set on the default -51 with the 6L6 tubes. However, since I'm not looking at it, I suppose if the default is the -39 setting it could be on that. But I didn't adjust the bias at all because I wanted the 6L6 tubes.

    I might have to remember to take a look at this later to make sure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ...and correct, normally you can't control the bias and wouldn't need to because you can't put 6l6 tubes in an amp with el34's unless you do some work under the hood.

    I hope it works for you....post a clip when you get something you like and I'll take a listen.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow –

    this is a really good explanation. I will continue to investigate this plugin – I want to understand what I really can do with it. It is very deep.

    Thanks a lot for your effort. It helped a lot!

    Sincerely
    Terje (PlugSlut)

    ReplyDelete